Earth Defense Force 6 is August’s cumulative best seller | Japan monthly charts

0

In one look :

  • Switch OLED accounted for nearly half of all hardware sales in August
  • Nintendo moved 890,800 Switch games, the lowest figure of 2022 so far
  • Sony accounted for over 25% of all games sold

Nintendo Switch Sports got the 1st place as the best-selling boxed game in August 2022 and sold around 83,000 copies last month.

Earth Defense Force 6 is a new entry at No. 2, the title launching exclusively in Japan the last week of August and selling around 68,300 Switch copies in just a few days.

Although the Switch version didn’t surpass Nintendo Switch Sports on its own, the PlayStation 4 version of Earth Defense Force 6 came in at No. 13 with 24,300 copies sold, making it the best-selling title of the month with a cumulative 92,600 copies moved across all available platforms.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe climbed two spots to No. 3 with 56,900 units sold, and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Kirby and the Forgotten Land remained in the top 10 for the month, selling 49,200 and 45,600 units respectively in Japan.

SD Gundam Battle Alliance was another new entry at No. 7, the Bandai Namco title sold around 38,600 Switch units in the last week of August. It also sold 17,900 PlayStation 4 copies and 9,600 PlayStation 5 copies, for a total of 66,100 copies sold.

Soul Hackers 2 also entered the August chart in its final week and sold 31,600 Switch copies, making it the 9th spot. It also sold 20,200 copies of PlayStation 5, for a total of 51,800 units across all platforms.

A total of 890,800 Switch games were sold in Japan last month, a considerable decrease from the 1.3 million moved in July.

Meanwhile, the number of PlayStation 4 titles sold reached 206,900, accounting for 17.1% market share. PlayStation 5 games sold exceeded 106,000, accounting for 8.8% of the market. Combined, Sony cornered 25.9% of all games sold in August, its highest share since March 2022.

325,700 Switch units were sold in August, slightly less than the previous month, but still enough for the console to account for 72.5% of all hardware sold. The Switch OLED accounted for 47.5% of all hardware sold in Japan last month, carried by the Splatoon 3 edition console.

Splatoon 3 launched on September 9, so sales of the title alone will be reported on next month’s charts.

Here are the top 10 best-selling physical games in Japan as of July 2022, courtesy of Famitsu:

  1. Nintendo Switch Sports (Switch | Nintendo)
  2. Earth Defense Force 6 (PlayStation 4 | D3 Editor)
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch | Nintendo)
  4. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Switch | Nintendo)
  5. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Switch | Nintendo)
  6. Minecraft: Switch Edition (Switch | Microsoft Japan)
  7. SD Gundam BAttle Alliance (Switch | Bandai Namco)
  8. Monster Hunter Rise (Switch | Capcom)
  9. Soul Hackers 2 (PlayStation 4 | Atlus)
  10. Ring Fit Adventure (Switch | Nintendo)
Share.

Comments are closed.