The International Center for Defense and Security (ICDS) creates a new post of President of Japan and hires a senior expert on Japan’s national security and foreign policy.
The main tasks of the Japan Chair are to research and contribute to policy debates on major challenges in Japan’s foreign, security and defense policies. The Japan Chair will contribute to a better understanding of the challenges Japan and the Baltic States or Europe face together in the geopolitical environment of the 21st century. The chair’s main research areas will include politics, political studies, diplomacy, security studies, international relations and global affairs relating to Japan and the Indo-Pacific region. The chair must have academic qualifications in a discipline directly related to the social sciences.
ICDS is the leading think tank in Estonia specializing in foreign policy, security and defense issues. Our goal is to be the premier regional knowledge center for Estonia’s security and defense communities, allies and partners.
We offer a motivating work environment and flexible terms, an independent approach to research, and good opportunities for international networking and personal development.
The Japan Chair will be launched in January 2023. The selected person can be employed full-time or part-time for an initial period of three years, with the possibility of extension.
The position of President of Japan is supported by the Government of Japan.
– academic higher education, preferably doctorate
– internationally recognized expertise and previous professional experience in the field of national security and foreign policy of Japan
– very good skills in policy-oriented research
– very good speaking and presentation skills
– English proficiency
Candidates are invited submit:
- a one-page motivational statement in English describing the candidate’s relevant experience and potential contribution to ICDS as President of Japan
- curriculum vitae (maximum three pages), including most recent publications
- copy of graduate degree
Please submit documents no later than September 1, 2022 to the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, please contact Kristi Raik, Director of the Estonian Foreign Policy Institute at ICDS, email@example.com.